Country House Dumbarton Scotland
Historic Buildings of Dunbartonshire
Today East and Western Dunbartonshire
See historical Buildings of Britain and Ireland - Main webpage
When you yourself have information on the Buildings talked about below please share it right here. When you yourself have forefathers connected to the places please add all of them to the task.
The thing of the project is always to provide details about historical buildings in county of Dunbartonshire, with links to sub-projects for certain structures as proper. GENi pages of individuals related to those establishments may be connected to this task and/or to individual tasks in which they are put up.
Historical Structures of Dunbartonshire
Including Castles, Abbeys, Manor Houses, Mansions, Stately Homes, nation houses, home houses, Courts, Halls, Parks as well as other detailed buildings of historical interest
- Ardencaple Castle ❊ twelfth century, Helensburgh. Demolished. Through the old the places of Ardencaple were managed by the Lairds of Ardincaple. By the belated 15th century or 16th century the lairds had adopted the surname MacAulay. By this time the Laird of Ardincaple was considered the clan chief of Clan MacAulay. The fortunes regarding the Lairds of Ardincaple failed within the 18th century once the chiefs of Clan MacAulay had been obligated to divide and offer the places when governed by former lairds of Ardincaple. In the 1740s Archibald MacAulay, Laird of Ardencaple, needed to sell-off a portion of his estate, however because of the early 1750s the roofing had fallen in therefore the problem of this castle pushed another Laird to abandon their residence truth be told there and live in nearby Laggarie. In about 1767 the twelfth chief, Aulay MacAulay, passed away at tall Laggarie (now within the current town of Rhu). In 1923, Sir Iain Colquhoun sold the palace to Mrs. H. Macaulay-Stromberg, a wealthy American, who restored the palace and lived truth be told there until the woman death, in 1931. The castle then passed to Adelaide Parker Voorheis until 1935, with regards to passed to a consortium of developers. The castle after that ended up being requisitioned because of the Royal Navy because of the outbreak of World War II. In 1957 all the palace ended up being demolished because of the government in order to develop naval housing the nearby HMNB Clyde (Faslane Naval Base), though one tower had been kept to be utilized as a mount for navigational beacons and transportation lights for Royal Navy. After that, the 45-foot (14 m) large tower had been referred to as "Ardencaple Castle number Rear Light", and had two green lights installed on its south-west corner. Ardencaple Castle was considered a Category B listed building since might 14, 1971. Today, all that continues to be regarding the grand turreted mansion is certainly one individual tower.
- Ardoch Tower
- Auchinvole Castle
- Badenheath Tower
- Balloch Castle ❊ - Castellated residence, 1809. Damages associated with original medieval palace still remain
- Bannachra Castle
- Bardowie Castle - Tower household, 16th Century. Milngavie - see Woman Caroline Worsley
- Blairvadach Castle
- Boturich Castle ❊ Castellatded home, 1835 - Loch Lomond. Built on the ruins of an older Castle.
- Camis Eskan
- Camstraddan Castle
- Cardross Castle
- Catter Law
- Craigend Castle ❊ - Castellated mansion. Destroy 1812 - Mugdock Country Park.
- Cumbernauld Castle
- Darleith Home
- Dumbarton Castle ❊ - Garrison Fortress, 17th - eighteenth centuries - center regarding the Kingdom of Strathclyde
- Dunglass palace - fifteenth Century. Bowling. Partially demolished for building stone 1735. Later residence remains on the website.
- Faslane Castle
- Forbes home where a Dr Forbes once presented their surgery - The Causeway or "Causie"
- Inchgalbraith Castle
- Inchmurrin Castle ❊ - 14th Century, Inchmurrin. Built because of the Earls of Lennox
- Inverglas Castle
- Island We Vow Castle
- Kilmahew Castle ❊ - Tower household. 16th century. Destroyed. Believed to happen built partially by George Napier (about 1694 to 1744). It a straightforward keep of the duration 1542 - 1700. The initial outline calculated 46 legs by 25 legs. It nonetheless appears to parapet level. During the nineteenth century the south and west walls had been rebuilt, with a view to make the castle into today's mansion, but this work was never ever finished.
- Kilmaronock Castle - Tower home, 15th Century. The stays of a tower home of the late 15th or early sixteenth century, Kilmaronock ended up being the property regarding the John Cunningham, 11th Earl of Glencairn in 1695
- Kirkintilloch Peel
- Lennox Castle ❊ - Castellated mansion, 1841 - Ruin. Milton of Campsie
- Rosneath Castle
- Rossdhu Castle
- Seton House, in which Captain Seton existed. The Causeway or "Causie"
- Shandon Castle
Tower of Law
- Tullichewan Castle - Castellated house, nineteenth Century - demolished
Please follow, request to collaborate
To become listed on the task utilize the request link under "actions" towards the top right for the web page.
See the discussion venture Help: just how to add Text to a venture - Starter Kit to help you get going!
Historic Structures of Angus
Historic Structures of Ayrshire
Historical Buildings of Berwickshire
Historical Buildings of Caithness
Historical Structures of Dumfries-shire
Historic Buildings of Edinburghshire
Historical Buildings of Inverness-shire
Historic Buildings of Kinross-shire
Historical Buildings of Lanarkshire