The Centre of Drymen
Drymen owes its beginnings to the fact that merely to its south had been the lowest point from which the Endrick Water could be bridged because it flowed into Loch Lomond, several kilometers on western. The stays of a medieval motte built to guard the crossing can certainly still be viewed nearby the contemporary bridge holding the A811 over the lake.
In 1700s Drymen discovered it self in the route for the army road from Stirling to Dumbarton. The Clachan Inn, on a corner of Square, dates back to this period and carries indications proclaiming that it was very first certified in 1734. The Endrick liquid ended up being bridged in rock in 1765. Another indication of Drymen's increasing significance was the opening right here of a post office in 1798.
When Sir Walter Scott had made The Trossachs the area to see in Scotland, Drymen had been preferably put to use the tourist boom that adopted, lying on the road from Glasgow to Aberfoyle, as well as the junction with all the road visiting Balmaha as well as the eastern part of Loch Lomond.
Drymen never ever quite managed to make it to the railroad age, using closest station opening at Croftamie, a mile and a half towards the south and beyond the Endrick Water, in 1856. More considerable was the opening of a steamer pier on Loch Lomond at Balmaha. The railway link, like it was, ended when passenger trains ceased to operate exactly in danger through Croftamie in 1934.
The main parking location is merely into east associated with the Square, off Stirling Road. So that you can relieve congestion when you look at the town, the A811 Stirling to Dumbarton road today bypasses Drymen to its south east. Which means any person attempting to look at the village, or perhaps the eastern coast of Loch Lomond, has got to make a conscious decision to show off the main roadway at one of many junctions south or eastern of Drymen.
One number of travellers don't have any parking dilemmas. The western Highland Way long-distance Path passes in order to the eastern associated with the village and lots of in the path result in the short detour into Drymen to take advantage of the number of facilities right here.
These include the mentioned previously Clachan Inn, whilst Winnock resort has been transformed from a-row of cottages in the west region of the square. Only a little to the south could be the instead larger Buchanan Arms Hotel. You will get a hold of stores and a post workplace here, together with a village hall and a residential district police station.
South of town, perhaps not far from the south junction using the A811, is Drymen Parish Church. This was integrated 1771 and invested most of its life in the red sandstone coat its builders intended. It was painted white in 1961 now it is hard to image it searching since it had until then.